Home » News » The Dangers Of Having Mold and Mildew In Your Home
The Dangers Of Having Mold and Mildew In Your Home
By now, pretty much everyone is aware of the fact that finding mold in your home is a bad thing. It’s sort of funny when you think about it since mold has been around forever and we’ve only begun to fear it over the last decade or so. But to be honest, you needn’t subscribe to the hype surrounding the occurrence of mold and mildew. Let’s just start by saying that mold is present in every home, so if you perform a test and it comes back positive for mold, don’t freak out. You don’t need to worry until you have visible mold and mildew growth. When colonies begin to form, it means that certain conditions have been met – the right combination of temperature, humidity, and a food source (virtually anything organic). And when mold and mildew colonies grow, you could find yourself facing some serious dangers.
The types of mold spores generally found in the average home are not particularly dangerous in and of themselves. They creep in through the cracks and settle around your house, but it is extremely unlikely they’ll cause you or your structure any harm, at least until they start to grow. When this happens, both your home and your health could be on the line. Where your home is concerned, mold can spread quickly under ideal conditions, causing damage to your structure. Mold feeds on organic material, of which much of your home may be composed. Wood, drywall, and many textiles all fit into this category, so your walls, flooring, and furniture could all come under attack. This may require expensive remediation procedures to address.
But the more pressing concern is likely your health. Certain types of mold can be extremely harmful when inhaled. Black mold, in particular, is considered one of the worst to have in your home for this very reason. It can cause serious respiratory issues, especially for children, the elderly, and anyone already suffering from allergies, asthma, or other respiratory conditions. When mold and mildew gain a foothold in your home, they can be difficult to get rid of. But if you want to protect your health, the health of your family, and your home, you need to treat both the symptom and the cause of mold and mildew growth.
You may be able to do this on your own by clearing away visible mold growth or simply removing affected items. From there, you’ll need to seal up leaks in your home, install proper ventilation, and find ways to make growth conditions less than ideal, such as by installing a whole-home dehumidification system. Or if you’re not confident in your ability to succeed on your own, you’ll want to consider hiring a company like Stay Dry Basement Waterproofing to help you through the process. The important thing to remember is that you can get ahead of the problem and prevent mold and mildew growth in your home. Whether you go it alone or hire specialists to help, you needn’t face the dangers inherent to mold and mildew growth.